Friday, March 18, 2011

Ah, Rome



You know I love Twisp. 

But this evening I was standing outside my favorite shirt store on Camp Marzio, staring past the reflections of rain-slick cobbles and the people above them walking arm in arm under umbrellas under soft yellow street lights, and I was thinking: I want one of those shirts. 

Maybe the blue chambray with contrast white stitching. Or the small red windowpane. Or the ribbed dress blue with a classic spread collar and the lightweight cashmere cardigan in baby blue with the red and cream silk tie...

because I’m in Rome, the greatest city on earth, where men who love women dress as though they love themselves, too. And I’m picturing myself in these beautiful clothes walking in Rome with a beautiful woman (and I happen to know one), enjoying my life as though I’m always on vacation. Of course I imagine all this. Because right now I am standing in Rome! But Twisp, bless its heart, would discourage the blue shirt and certainly the baby blue cashmere sweater and the red tie (but not the beautiful woman). It is because I’m in Rome that any of this makes sense.

Ah, Rome.
Tonight my friend Rick and I found a favorite restaurant, Cul de Sac. Beyond Piazza Navona, at Piazza Pasquino 73, Cul de Sac is quintessentially Roman: narrow, long, high-ceilinged; casual and crowded, literally thousands of wine bottles above our heads as we sit in tight booths along the skinny aisle. The wine list is a soft-covered book of a hundred pages with comprehensive selections from Italy's 20 regions, and the menu comprises small plates of typically Roman cuisine, from wild hare patè to tripe ragu to beef braised with radicchio — rich meats, vegetables rich and hard-cooked, big dark wintery wines. Despite the fact that Cul de Sac has been popularized in many U.S. journals, from the New York Times to Men’s Health. Get here at 8:30 and take a number and wait outside under the canopy with rain pouring down. It’s worth it.





No comments:

Post a Comment